QuickBooks Online is the top-graded accounting software that you can access from anywhere and anytime with a stable internet connection. The main benefit of using this software is that it creates a backup online, and you don’t have to worry about data loss. However, if you are accessing the QBDT and want to switch to QBO, you need to convert QuickBooks Desktop to Online.
Converting QuickBooks Desktop to Online is not a difficult task until you have proper instructions to do the same. Therefore, to help you out, we have created this comprehensive post so that you can easily migrate QuickBooks Desktop To Online.
Stepwise Instructions to Convert QuickBooks Desktop to Online
Stage 1: Get Your Desktop File ready:-
- Initially, ensure that the QuickBooks company file isn’t too large to export.
- If you want to ensure that total targets are less than 750,000, then hit the Ctrl+ 1 key.
- Now, you are required to print a copy of your Sales Tax Liability Report. Then, you have to enter adjustment entries before moving ahead, which are as follows;
- Move to the Reports menu, then opt for Vendors & Payables.
- Tap on the Sales Tax Liability, and then click on All from the drop-down menu of Dates.
- After this, choose the Save as PDF option by clicking on the Print drop-down menu list.
- Pick the folder you need to save the file, name it and then save it.
Stage 2: Migrate Your QuickBooks Desktop file to QuickBooks Online
Note: If you are accessing the QuickBooks version 2018 or older, you may use the QuickBooks Desktop File Restoration tool to upgrade your file. Afterward, you can transfer your data to QuickBooks Online.
Also Read: TurboTax Error 190
For QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier Users:-
- To begin the process, log in to your company file using the admin credentials which you want to import.
- After this, move to the Company and opt for the Export Company File to QuickBooks Online.
- Tap on the Start your Export option and log in as an admin to your QuickBooks company file.
- Now, click on Choose Online Company and then pick the QuickBooks Online company with whom you want to replace your company file.
- Further, tap on the Continue option.
- If you wish to track the inventory in the QuickBooks Desktop application, then go through the following steps:1. Tap on the Yes option to bring it over and then input as of date.
2. Click on the No option if you wish to set up new items later in the QuickBooks Online application.
- After that, type Agree within the text field and then tap on the Replace option.
- Finally, opt for the Yes, go ahead and replace the data option and click Replace.
For QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Users:-
- In the first step, log in with admin rights to the Desktop company file to which you want to move.
- After this, press the Ctrl + 1 key from your keyboard to bring up the Product Information window on your computer screen.
- Press the Ctrl + B + Q to open the export window.
- Now, from the Export Window, tap on the Get Started option.
- You must log in to the QuickBooks Online company file using the admin credentials to open it.
- Moving ahead, opt for the Choose Online Company and then pick the QuickBooks Online Company you want to replace your company file with.
- In the next step, opt for the Continue option.
- If you wish to track inventory in the QuickBooks Desktop, then go through these steps:
- Tap on the Yes option to bring them over and then mention the as of date.
- You must pick the No option if you wish to set up new items later in the QuickBooks Online application.
- After this, input “Agree’ within the text field and click on the Replace option.
- In the end, choose Yes, go ahead and replace the data, and tap on the Replace option.
Stage 3: Be Prepared to Use QuickBooks Online
1. Initially, you must link your bank or credit card accounts in QuickBooks. To do so, follow the stepwise instructions listed below:
- Initially, move to Bookkeeping > Transactions > Bank Transactions. Otherwise, opt for the banking menu.
- If you want to set up a bank account for the first time, opt for the Connect Account. Otherwise, opt for a Link account if you have already set up the bank account.
- Now, add the name of your bank or credit card account. Note: If you cannot find your bank account and you still want to add your transactions, then you can upload those transactions manually.
- Moving ahead, tap on the Continue option and log into your bank account using the correct bank login details.
- Go through the instructions displayed on the screen and then move further. These steps may consist of mandatory security checks for your financial institution. Your bank might take seconds to connect with your bank account.
- Opt for the accounts you wish to connect and then click on the drop-down menu of Accounts Type. Then, pick the bank account that matches the accounts’ charts in the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, decide how much past transactions you want to download. Some financial institutions allow their users to download transactions for the last 90 days. Whereas some of the banks allow their users to download for upto 24 months.
- Finally, choose the Connect option.
Also Read: Change TurboTax Password
2. You can also create and send invoices to your customers through QuickBooks Online. To do so, go through the instructions listed below:
For the Old Users:-
- Initially, click on the +New option and then Invoice.
- Choose a customer from the list of available options by clicking on the Customer drop-down menu. Ensure you have added all the information accurately, especially the email address.
- Examine the Invoice Date. If you wish to make changes to the due date, tap on the Terms drop-down menu.
- Now, choose the product/service from the Product/service column.
- Add the quantity and rate of the product and change the price if required.
- If you wish to charge the sales tax, mark the tax checkbox.
- Once done, you will see numerous options for saving or sharing your invoice.
- If you wish to send the invoice, tap on “Save and send” to email the invoice to your customer. Adjust the email if required and opt for the Send and Close option.
- Click on the Save and Close option if you wish to send the invoice later.
- For printing the paper invoice, choose the Save option and then Print or Preview.
- Opt for the Save and Share link option if you wish to send the link to their invoice using the text message.
For the New Users:-
- To initiate the process, click on +New and then the Invoice option.
- Pick the Add Customer option and pick the customer by clicking on the Add customer option. You must verify that all the details are appropriate, including the email address.
- Analyze the Invoice Date, Due Date, and Terms of the invoice, and then you can add the new dates and terms if you wish to.
- Now, pick the product or service by tapping the Add product or service option.
- After this, choose how you wish to compute the charge amount-flat rate either by hour or by item. If required, you can add the quantity or the amount into the text field.
- If you wish to customize the info or design of your invoices, then click on the Manage option.
- After that, choose the options from the side panel. QuickBooks recalls your choices and then apply them to all the existing and future invoices.
- Now, you will see many options on your screen to share or save the invoice.
- To send the invoice immediately, tap on Review and Send to email the invoice to the customer.
- For sending the invoice later, click Save and close.
- You need to tap on the Print and Download option to print the paper invoice.
- If the customer has given you the payment, click on the Receive Payment option.
- If you wish to send a link to the invoice via a text message, choose the Share Link option.
Also Read: QuickBooks Enterprise 2023 Update
3. You may also maintain a track record of your bills and can take guidance on paying bills in QuickBooks.
Hopefully, we assure you that the steps mentioned above will help you to convert QuickBooks Desktop to Online. Now, you can easily access the features of the QuickBooks Online software and can work from anywhere and anytime. However, if you still have any issues while converting QuickBooks Desktop to Online, you can take help from our experts through email or chat.
The time taken while migrating QuickBooks Desktop to Online depends upon the file size of your company file. You must keep the QuickBooks Desktop application running until the transfer process gets completed.
No, you cannot use the QuickBooks Desktop and Online for the same Company at one particular time. The QBDT and QBO are two different platforms that are not compatible with one another.
It is very important to take care of the file size during the conversion process. You can recognize the total target by pressing the F2 key and ensure it shouldn’t exceed more than 350,000 targets.