QuickBooks script error is one of the most annoying errors in the program that can take place when you try to access a web page from within the program. QuickBooks is undoubtedly one of the most preferred accounting programs for its incredible features. However, technical issues are a common part of user experience.
Here, we will discuss the Script error in QuickBooks that can prevent users from accessing their company file, thereby interrupting their workflow. The resolution of the error requires knowledge of the possible causes and their detailed troubleshooting procedures. Let’s start!
What Does QuickBooks Script Error Message Depict?
QuickBooks Script error is a common program error that not only hampers the QuickBooks programs but also affects several other applications that run on your Internet connection. When the error occurs, it shows an error message on your screen:
An error has occurred in the script of this page.
Script Error in QuickBooks: Possible Reasons
Looking for possible reasons is imperative when it comes to error resolution. Most of the possible reasons are related to Internet Explorer. Check the below-given list:
- Inappropriate configuration of the Internet Explorer.
- Internet Explorer is already in use when you make a new page request.
- QuickBooks is not synced with Internet Explorer.
- Script processing tools are disabled in the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Previous changes made to the Desktop are not saved.
- Infected system due to Malware or Spyware attacks.
When troubleshooting the QuickBooks script error, you need to keep the issue in your mind.
What Are The Symptoms of QuickBooks Desktop Script Error?
When the error occurs, you can determine it with the help of some apparent symptoms that will show up on your screen. Below they are:
- Malfunctioning Internet Explorer when you try to work on it.
- QuickBooks is not added as an exception on Windows Firewall.
- You may not be able to navigate through the QuickBooks application.
- Trouble in downloading updates for the QuickBooks accounting software.
- Time out message on your screen every now and then.
- An error message appears on the screen as soon as the error takes place.
Also Read – Fix QuickBooks Error 80029c4a
Troubleshooting Solutions For QuickBooks Script Error
After discussing the error, it’s possible causes and symptoms, let’s discuss some of the best solutions to get rid of the problem:
Procedure 1: Make Sure That Internet Explorer is Your Default Browser
Internet Explorer is the best-supported browser for QuickBooks. Therefore, you need to make sure that it is your default browser before you proceed further to perform solutions that are more complex in nature. If it is not, you can follow the below-listed steps:
- Go to the Programs tab located under Settings of the Internet Explorer.
- Next, you need to click on the Make Default button.
- Thereafter, mark the checkbox for the “Tell me if Internet Explorer is not the default web browser” option.
These steps will make Internet Explorer your default browser, wherein you can access QuickBooks with the utmost ease.
Procedure 2: Clean Your Internet Explorer’s Cache Data
Your browser’s cache data, when piled up for a long time, can give rise to various issues, such as script errors. To get rid of the issue, clear your browser’s cache data. To clear the cache:
- Open Internet Explorer and go to the Tools.
- Next, you need to click on Internet Options and then click the General tab.
- Located underneath Browser History, click on the Delete button.
- Now, checkmark the boxes against the options you want to choose.
- Click OK, and it will execute your selections.
Once done, try to perform the same step that was giving the error. If it continues, move to the next solution.
Procedure 3: Disable Any and All Add-Ons On Your Browser
Sometimes, the add-ons installed on your browser can interfere with an ongoing task. To access webpages without getting an error, you need to disable the add-ons from your Internet Explorer. Below are your steps:
- Launch Internet Explorer, and go to the Tools section.
- The next option you need to select is Internet Options.
- After selecting, choose Programs, and it will take you a step further.
- When the new tab opens, click Manage add-ons.
- Here, select Disable add-ons and click OK to conclude the procedure.
No luck with this solution? Try the next procedure.
Procedure 4: Configure Your Browser Correctly
As we have discussed earlier, improperly configured Internet Explorer can promote QuickBooks Script error. In such a case, you need to configure it correctly to keep the error at bay. Check below:
- Open Internet Explorer and then go to Internet Options.
- Next, click on the Advanced tab to move ahead.
- Click Reset to default when the new tab opens up and click the Apply button.
- In the end, you need to hit the OK button to save changes and end this task.
Procedure 5: Exempt The Web Source You Are Trying To Access On Your Browser
The error occurs when accessing a webpage; therefore, you need to exempt QuickBooks-related domains as a trusted site. It will help you open your page without any restrictions. To exempt Intuit in your Internet Explorer:
- First of all, open your Internet Explorer browser and then select Tools.
- Navigate to the Internet Options next.
- Thereon, click on the Security tab.
- Here, you can exempt .Intuit.com by adding it as a Trusted Site on your browser.
You may now open your QuickBooks company file without any restrictions. However, if it is not the main reason behind the error, try the next method.
The solutions discussed in this post can effectively troubleshoot the QuickBooks script error. However, if you are stuck at a step and need a professional to guide you from this point, contact experienced QuickBooks professionals to get rid of the issue.