QuickBooks not responding is an erroneous condition in the program when you try to run QuickBooks, but it doesn’t respond. There are various instances of this error with which users search for it, such as QuickBooks not responding, QuickBooks has stopped working, QuickBooks crashing or freezing, and various others.
When performing an essential task in the program, you definitely don’t want to see this error. However, if it occurs, you are left with no option but to eliminate it. In this article, we will discuss possible causes, symptoms, and troubleshooting solutions to eliminate the error.
If you are clueless about how to fix QuickBooks not responding issue, connect with our professionals @ +1 855 706 0905 and get prompt help with the error resolution.
Also Read: QuickBooks Error H202
Message For Error QuickBooks Not Responding
When QuickBooks stops working, you will get an error message on your screen that reads- QuickBooks has stopped working. Besides, you will see a Windows-generated message – A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, or Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.
When you try to run QuickBooks again after getting the error message, the program quits automatically. However, the error message will not show up every time, but it may freeze without notifying you. When such an error message or error instance takes place when working on launching QuickBooks, high time that you look for its possible solutions.
How To Identify The QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Issue?
When the error occurs, it leaves behind some signs that can help you in determining the problem. On noticing the below-given symptoms of the error, you need to start troubleshooting without wasting a second. Check below:
- QuickBooks freezes or becomes unresponsive right after you try to launch the application.
- Before QuickBooks loads its dashboard, a warning message appears on your screen notifying you about the error.
- The command given by the mouse or keyboard can’t make QuickBooks move.
- QuickBooks quits in no time when you try to open it without giving any error message on your screen.
- Your Windows also starts responding sluggishly when running the program on it.
Possible Reasons Behind QuickBooks Not Responding Issue
Now that we have discussed the signs behind the error, below are the possible reasons that can give rise to the “QuickBooks is not opening” error:
- Essential Windows components are damaged that are required to run the program.
- Damaged or corrupt areas on your hard disk.
- Corrupt or damaged installation of the QuickBooks software due to the missing components.
- QuickBooks is not properly installed on Windows and hence, giving issues when running it.
- QBWUSER.INI file that contains the initialization information of the program; when it gets damaged, the error message crops up.
- When the QuickBooks file name exceeds the maximum standardized limit, you need to cut it short.
- Handy Procedures To Fix QuickBooks Not Responding Issue
Now that much has been discussed about the error, we can proceed further and perform some of the most suitable solutions to eradicate the QuickBooks has stopped working issue. Check below:
Solution* 1: Put QuickBooks Tool Hub To Use After Downloading It
QuickBooks Tool Hub is an incredible utility in the program that helps some of the most powerful tools within the program to launch and troubleshoot errors. To install and run the tool hub:
- First things first, download QuickBooks Tool Hub and save the downloaded file on your Desktop.
- Thereafter, go to the download location and run the executable (QuickBooksToolHub.exe) file to install the program.
Note: Close every program running in the background, which can interfere with the installation process.
- Follow the instructions explained for installation to get it done.
- To put the program to use, you need to agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the QuickBooks Tool Hub is installed, open it.
- Select the Program Installation issues, and you will get to run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
Note: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is a powerful tool that can resolve common installation issues related to QuickBooks Desktop software. If the error is caused due to the partial or damaged installation of the QuickBooks application, this tool can help.
- Run the tool and wait until the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool resolves the common installation issues.
- Restart your Windows and re-launch the QuickBooks application to check if the “QuickBooks has stopped” working issue is fixed.
If the same signs of the error are discussed herein, move to the next solution to perform the described steps.
Solution* 2: Rename QBWUSER.INI File By Adding .OLD At The End Of It
If the first solution fails, you need to repair the QBWUSER.INI file needed in the initialization of the QuickBooks application. It stores the product registration information, and therefore, when damaged, you may not be able to run QuickBooks smoothly. To repair the file:
- Navigate to the folder location containing the file >> \Users\User Name \AppData\Local\ Intuit\QuickBooks.
- You will be able to see the QBWUSER.INI file here.
- If not, click Folder and Search options located underneath the Organize tab at the top left corner of the Window.
- Now from under the View tab, mark the checkbox for the Show hidden files, folders, or drives option.
- Moving ahead, click Apply, followed by clicking the OK tab.
- Thereafter, right-click the file and select Rename option from the drop-down list.
- Now add .OLD at the end of the file name so that it will look like QBWUSER.INI.OLD.
- After that, launch QuickBooks and check if the QuickBooks application is working or not.
If this solution is not sufficient to eradicate the error, move to the next solution and perform the described steps.
Solution* 3: Examine And Fix The Bad Sections On Hard Drive
Bad sectors on the hard drives are also one of the apparent reasons that can evoke the error of QuickBooks not Responding. It can also impede the performance of the program running on Windows. In such a case, you need to find and fix the bad sectors on the hard drive to get rid of the error. Check below:
- Press Windows + E keys together and right-click the C drive to open the Windows File Manager.
- Next, select Properties located below Tools and hit the Check Now option.
- Thereafter, mark the checkbox for “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” options.
- Once marked, hit the Start button and wait for the scan and repair process to finish.
Once done, try to check if the error is resolved or not. If the error continues, try the next solution to eliminate the concerning problem.
Solution* 4: Rename The QuickBooks File To Fix The Error
As we have discussed that additional characters in the file name can evoke the error. In such a case, you need to cut it short by renaming it. Follow the below-given steps:
- Navigate to the folder containing the QuickBooks company file.
- Now locate the file within the folder and right-click on it.
- After that, right-click on the file and select Rename option.
- Once done, reduce the characters and make sure that there are no special characters or spaces in the file name.
Now you can try to open the QuickBooks application and check if the error is resolved or not. If the error persists, implement the next solution on the error resolution.
Solution* 5: Reinstall Windows Operating System To Run QuickBooks Smoothly
Missing or damaged Windows components can prevent the smooth installation of the QuickBooks application. You may not be able to run a partially installed or damaged QuickBooks to handle your business accounting. In such a case, you can try to perform the below-given steps:
Note: Before you reinstall Windows, create a backup for your QuickBooks company file. The reason is that the process will remove the QuickBooks and company data file. It will be more suitable if you ask your IT admin to get it done. Also, you can reinstall QuickBooks once Windows is reinstalled.
- Now that we have downloaded QuickBooks Tool Hub in the first troubleshooting solution, we can utilize it for error resolution.
- Launch QuickBooks Tool Hub in the first place.
- Once done, navigate through the list of the issues and select Installation Issues.
- You will now get to open the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.
- Wait for the tool to finish the task.
To Put It All Together!
This post elaborates on how to fix QuickBooks not responding issue. After troubleshooting, you can run the program smoothly and handle your day-to-day accounting tasks. However, if you are unable to resolve the error for any reason, contact us and describe the issues. When we know what is stopping you from resolving the error, we will help you with the best solutions.
Some of the main instances of this error are:
• QuickBooks not responding after login
• QuickBooks not responding on startup
• QuickBooks 2022 not responding
• QuickBooks Online is not working
• QuickBooks problems and solutions
• QuickBooks Online is not loading
• QuickBooks will not open after the update
QuickBooks not responding issue can be tackled by various tools from the tool hub as given below:
• QuickBooks Clean install tool
• QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
• Quick Fix my program
• QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks refresher tool offers a quick repair on all installed versions of the QuickBooks Desktop application, thereby eliminating various issues in QuickBooks.
If you are seeking help with the error resolution, you can connect with our trained professionals. Supported by the latest tools and their extensive experience, they can guide you in error resolution.