QuickBooks error 6144 82 is one of the common 6000 series QuickBooks errors. This error mainly arises when an internal component of QuickBooks is damaged and is creating hindrance for user in accessing the company’s file.
Users will be able to notice this error with a pop-up display message as:
“QuickBooks has encountered a new problem and it needs to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.”
Why Does QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82 Arise?
Once you become aware of why such an error occurs, prevention becomes easy. Below is the list of possible reasons of the QuickBooks error 6144 82;
- A damaged or corrupted network data (.ND) or Transaction Log File (.TLG).
- The current name of the QuickBooks file exceeds more than 65 characters.
- When you suddenly shut down the PC.
- Network and connectivity issues can also be a reason why the error surfaces.
- When you have moved the QuickBooks file from the original folder location.
- QuickBooks files are not downloaded properly on your PC.
- A damaged or corrupted windows registry can also be a reason to the occurrence of the problem.
- The background running antivirus software can disallow QuickBooks to access the company’s file.
These are the possible reasons, why the problem occurs. Now, let’s move forward towards the symptoms of the error.
How to Identify QuickBooks Error 6144 82?
Before we jump to the solutions, let’s have a clear understanding of the symptoms through which you can identify the QuickBooks error code 6144 82.
- PC’s windows is not responding or crashing frequently.
- A pop-up display message appears on the screen displaying the error 6144 82.
- PC is not responding to the commands provided by the mouse and keyboard.
- When the PC suddenly faces a low-performance speed.
- System is not responding to the commands provided by the mouse and keyboard.
- QuickBooks desktop application is not working.
5 Ways to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6144 82
Let’s take a look at the tried and tested solutions you can follow to fix the QuickBooks error 6144 82.
Solution 1. Providing a New Short Name to QuickBooks Company’s File Name
If the current QuickBooks file name exceeds more than 65 characters, then it can cause many QuickBooks errors and error code 6144 82 is among one of them.
In that scenario, you must provide a new short name to the file for resolving the error. Below are the steps you can follow to rename the QuickBooks company’s file name
- Initially, navigate the windows file explorer by hitting the “Windows + E” keys together.
- Now, navigate to the default QuickBooks file’s location, i.e., C:\ Users\ Public\ Public Documents\ Intuit\ QuickBooks\ Company Files.
- After that, find the file ending with the extension as “.QBW.”
- Now, right-click on the file and click on the “Rename” option.
- Then provide a new name to the company’s file and ensure that the new name is less than 65 characters.
- After providing the name, click on the “Save” option and close all the opened windows and tabs.
Once you have renamed the QuickBooks file, then open the QuickBooks desktop application again and examine if this method has helped you in resolving the error or not.
In case the error still exists, then try the next solution.
Solution 2. Rename the .ND and .TLG File
If the network data and transaction log files are damaged or corrupted, then the probability of facing errors while using the QuickBooks software is very high.
Here, renaming the files can help you to troubleshoot the problem. Given below are the steps that you can follow to rename the .ND and .TLG files.
- First, open the folder where the QuickBooks company’s files are saved on your PC.
- Here, you can search for the network data file by looking at the extension ending as “.ND.”
- Now, right-click on the network data file and click on the “Rename” option.
- After that, add “old” at the end of the extension name. With that effect, the name will be ending as “.ndold.”
- Similarly, rename the extension of the Transaction Log file (TLG) to “.tlg.old.”
Now, launch the QuickBooks desktop application again and examine if this method has helped you in resolving the QuickBooks error code 6144 82 or not. If the error persists, then follow the third solution.
Solution 3. Move the QuickBooks Company’s File to Default Location
For moving the QuickBooks company’s file to the default location, here are the steps you can follow.
- The first step is to open the QuickBooks product information window by pressing the F2 key on your keyboard.
- Then launch the notepad on your PC and write the location where you have saved the QuickBooks company’s files.
- Now, search for the file with the extension ending as “.QBW” and select it.
- Next, copy the file by pressing the “Ctrl + C” keys and move it to the original QuickBooks folder.
After that, launch the QuickBooks desktop application and open the company’s file. If the file is still not opening, don’t panic and try the next solution.
Solution 4. Permit User Permissions to QuickBooks
If you have not allowed enough permissions for QuickBooks to work efficiently, then it might be a reason why the QuickBooks error 6144 82 arises.
Below are the steps you can follow to allow permissions to QuickBooks.
- Firstly, on your server computer, run the QuickBooks desktop application.
- Now, click on the “Company” tab option, followed by a click on the “Set Up Users and Roles” option.
- Next, create a password for accessing the data file.
- After that, under the list, click on the username option.
- Thereon, you can now easily make the changes in settings as per requirements.
After allowing user permissions to QuickBooks, then check if the QuickBooks error code 6144 82 has been eliminated or not.
Solution 5. Fix the Windows Registry
The last but not the least solution for resolving the QuickBooks error code 6144 82 is to repair the windows registry. Here are the steps that you can follow to repair the windows registry.
- First, press the Windows key on your keyboard to navigate the windows start menu.
- Next, type “Command” in the search box, but don’t press the enter button.
- Thereon, press and hold the “Ctrl + Shift” keys together and then press the enter button.
- After that, a permission dialog box will appear on your screen, followed by a click on the “Yes” option.
- Now, a new black box with a blinking cursor will be open on your screen.
- Thereon, type “Regedit” in the box and hit the enter button.
- Moving ahead, under the registry window, select the error 6144 82.
- After that, navigate to the “File” menu and click on the “Export” option.
- Now, select the folder where you want to save the QuickBooks backup key.
- Followed by the above steps, provide a name to the folder and click on the “Selected Branch” option, which is available under the “Export Range Box.”
- Thereon, save all the updated changes you have made with the .reg file extension.
- You have now successfully created the QuickBooks-related registry entry backup. After following all the solutions mentioned above, the QuickBooks error code 6144 82 will be resolved at this stage.
We hope you find this blog well. In this page, we have provided you with five different tried and tested solutions that you can easily follow to resolve the QuickBooks error code 6144 82. If you are still facing any issue while using the QuickBooks, then you can reach out to our experts through the chat box.
You can also send us your query through mail. Our professional QuickBooks experts are available 24*7 at the help desk to answer your query.