QuickBooks POS failed to open company file is a faulty issue in the program that prevents users from opening their company files. The inability to access the company file means you are not able to check your accounting data from within the QuickBooks POS software. When the error occurs, you may see various instances of warning texts on your screen, which read –
Failed to open company
Error: Unable to connect to your company data file
Login to company file failed
This error can take place due to multiple possible reasons. The arrival of this error can disrupt work progress, and therefore, you need to fix it as soon as possible. This post elaborates on some tried and tested troubleshooting solutions for QuickBooks POS won’t open company file, which you may implement to fix the problem. Let’s start!
Need help with QuickBooks Point of Sale unable to open company file? Discuss your issues on our helpline number +1 855 706 0905.
What Are The Possible Reasons That Can Give Rise To QuickBooks POS Won’t Open Company File?
Below is the list of the possible reasons that can give rise to the error when opening a company file from within the QuickBooks Desktop POS program:
- When QuickBooks POS is installed on a client’s workstation instead of a server.
- Lost connection with the QuickBooks company file.
- Essential QuickBooks services are not running, which is crucial for accessing the company file.
- When the company data is converted to a higher version of the program using Windows XP SP2 OS.
- QuickBooks can’t connect to the company file and tries to reconnect.
- A damaged or corrupted QuickBooks company file is also one of the apparent reasons behind this error.
Signs of QuickBooks Point of Sale Connection Is Broken
Some of the main signs of this error can be experienced by the users as stated below:
- You will get an error message that depicts QuickBooks POS failed to open the company file.
- You will not be able to access your company records.
- Trouble using the program with its full efficiency.
- Disrupted workflow evoking the need for error resolution.
Important Points To Consider Before Troubleshooting
After having adequate knowledge of QuickBooks POS failed to open company file, we can finally move to the most crucial part of this post, that is, troubleshooting. However, you need to keep a few important considerations in your mind before finally jumping to the error resolution procedures. Below is the list:
- Restart Your Computer: In the first place, restart your computer and try to connect to the company file. Restarting is one of the simplest solutions to complex technical problems.
- Log in with Admin Credentials: Make sure that you have logged in as an administrator, which will enable you to make crucial changes to the program.
- Create Data Backup: Create a backup of your company file if you don’t want any data disruption (obviously) when troubleshooting the error.
- Check your Internet Connection: Check and confirm that you have a strong and stable Internet connection. If not, switch to a stronger one.
Solutions To Fix QuickBooks POS Won’t Open Company File Issue
After considering the above-described pointers, we can proceed further toward the resolution of the QuickBooks Point of Sale login to company file failed issue:
Solution 1: Run Verify & Rebuild Data Utility
Verify and Rebuild Data are the incredible utilities in the program that helps in determining and repairing the data damage in QuickBooks. In the first place, you need to run verify data to look for potential data damage. If the company file is corrupted, the Rebuild Data utility can repair the damaged data. Again, running Verify Data will confirm that the company file is repaired correctly. Below are the steps:
To Run Verify Data Utility
- When in the File menu, select Utilities and then Verify Data.
- Next, you need to click OK when the prompt -“QuickBooks detected no problem with your data” appears on your screen.
- However, if you see “Your data has lost integrity” text, it means the data is damaged and needs to get repaired.
- You will get a prompt to Rebuild your data.
To Run Rebuild Data Utility
- Go to the File menu in QuickBooks POS, click Utilities, and then Rebuild Data.
- Click OK when you see a prompt to back up your QuickBooks company file.
- Here, the system might reflect an error message – “QuickBooks is not responding”.
- If you see the cursor moving, it indicates the Rebuild process is running.
- Wait for the process to accomplish and again run the rebuild Data Utility to check if the data is repaired or not.
Also Read: How do I Speak to a Live Person at QuickBooks
Solution 2: Rename Your QuickBooks Company File
If the QuickBooks POS won’t open company file still continues, rename your company file by following the below-given steps:
- Go to the folder location that contains your QuickBooks Company File: – C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS 18.0\Data\ “Your Company Name”.
- When in the folder, right-click on the file name and select Rename from the drop-down menu.
- Now enter a new name for the company file and make sure that there are no spaces or special characters in the file name.
- Once done, restart QuickBooks Point of Sale and check if the error is resolved.
Solution 3: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
Damaged installation of the QuickBooks application can also give rise to the QuickBooks POS failed to open company file. In such a case, you need to repair the damaged installation of the program by implementing the below-stated steps:
- Quit the faulty QuickBooks Point of Sale in the first place.
- Press Windows + R keys together to open the Run command.
- Here, you need to type Control Panel in the search area.
- Moving ahead, click Programs and then Programs and Features.
- Thereafter, select QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale from the list of programs and select the Repair option from the list.
- Click Yes when you are prompted to do so.
The solutions described in this post can help you in troubleshooting the QuickBooks POS won’t open company file issue. If the error continues or you need professional assistance in the error resolution, we are always ready and available to help via call, chat, or email options.