Are you also facing glitches while opening the QuickBooks desktop application after updating to the latest Windows 10? If yes, we are here to take you out of this problem. In this blog post, we will provide you with all the information about why QuickBooks stopped working after the windows 10 update and the solutions you can follow to resolve the error. So, if you also want to fix this problem, stay tuned and read this blog post until the last word.
Why Does QuickBooks Stop Working after Updating Windows 10?
Here is the list of the possible reasons why QuickBooks may stop working after the windows 10 update.
- When the QBUSER.INI file gets damaged or corrupted after a windows update.
- QuickBooks is not compatible with the new windows update.
- The company’s name is too long.
- Poor internet connection.
- The background running antivirus software is disabling the QuickBooks from working properly.
- An issue with the QuickBooks installation files.
How to Identify QuickBooks Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update Problem?
So, below mentioned is the list of symptoms you can check to identify if you are facing the QuickBooks stopped working error after the windows 10 update.
- The QuickBooks desktop application starts hanging or does not responds to commands.
- Not able to open the QuickBooks company’s file.
- QuickBooks suddenly shutdowns automatically.
- PC’s windows is frequently crashing.
Read Also – How to Add a New QuickBooks Online User?
How to Fix QuickBooks Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update?
Once you are cleared with all the possible reasons why the error arises and the symptoms to identify the error, let’s look at the different methods for fixing the QuickBooks stopped working problem after the windows 10 update.
Solution 1: Restore the Old Version of Windows 10
If the new updates of Windows 10 are not compatible with the QuickBooks Desktop application, then the only option that the users have is to restore the previous version of windows 10. So, for restoring the old version of Windows 10, below are the steps you can follow to accomplish the process.
- First, go to the windows start menu by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Thereon, search and click on the windows settings option.
- After that, click on the “Update and Security” option under the settings page.
- Moving ahead, click on the “Recovery” option, which is available on the left side of the screen.
- At last, click on the “Get Started” option, which is available under the “Go back to an Earlier Build” heading.
After performing the above-mentioned steps, you have now easily restored the old version of Windows 10. Now, open the QuickBooks desktop application and check if QuickBooks is opening or does the problem still exists.
Solution 2: Rename the QBWUSER.INI File
So, below mentioned are the steps that you can follow to rename the QBUSER.INI file.
- The first step is to navigate to the location where the QBWUSER.ini file is saved i..e Users > [Name} > App Data > Local > Intuit > QuickBooks.
- After that, right-click on the QuickBooks file name and select the “Rename” option.
- The next step is to type “.OLD” at the end of the company’s file name. The new name of the company’s file will be “QBUSER.INI.OLD.”
- After that, rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file similarly.
Once you have renamed both files, open the QuickBooks desktop application, and if the error persists, jump on to the next solution.
Solution 3: Eliminate the QBW32.EXE Pending Process
Here are the steps for closing the QBW32.EXE pending process in the task manager.
- First, go to the windows start menu by pressing the Windows button.
- Afterward, type “Task Manager” in the insert box and press the enter button.
- Moving on, click on the “Details” tab option.
- Then, search for the “QBW32.EXE” file under the list and right-click on it.
- Then click on the “End Task” option to close the pending process of the QBW32.EXE file.
Solution 4: Create a New Admin User in your PC’s Windows
If there are installation problems, QuickBooks might stop working after the windows 10 update. In this situation, adding a new windows admin user to your PC can help you to fix the problem.
Below are the steps you can follow to add a new windows admin user to your Windows account.
- To begin the process, go to the windows start menu.
- Then, under the applications drop-down list, click on the Settings option.
- Now, search and click on the “Accounts” option under the windows settings.
- Moving on, select the “Choose Family and Other Users” option.
- Then, under the list of options, click on the “Add Someone else to this PC” option.
- After that, enter the admin details, and with that, you have successfully created a new windows admin user on your PC.
After you have performed the above steps, check if you can open the QuickBooks Desktop application. In case the problem persists, then move to the next solution.
Read Also – How to Fix QuickBooks Not Responding?
Solution 5: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
The QuickBooks tool hub can help you to resolve many QuickBooks errors. Although, this tool is available under the QuickBooks tool hub. So, here are the steps that you can follow to run the QuickBooks install the diagnostic tool on your PC.
- First, download and install the QuickBooks tool hub from the Intuit official product page.
- Once you have installed the tool, double-click the tool icon to open it.
- After that, click on the “Installation Issues” option.
- Then, under the list, click on the “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.”
- The tool will start scanning your files, taking around 20 to 25 minutes.
At last, once the scanning process ends, then restart your PC and try to launch the QuickBooks desktop application.
Solution 6: Disable Internet Access to QuickBooks
Before you jump on to this method, we suggest you take a backup of your QuickBooks company’s file as blocking the internet access for QuickBooks can damage the QuickBooks installation and its data.
Below are the steps you can follow to disable internet access to QuickBooks.
- At first, go to the windows start menu and under the list of applications, click on the Settings option.
- Under the PC’s settings page, click on the “Control Panel” option.
- Then under the control panel screen, click on the “Windows Firewall” option.
- Moving ahead, click on the “Advanced Settings” option, which is available on the top left side of the screen.
- The next step is to click on the “Outbound Rules” option, which is available under the “Windows Firewall With Advanced Security” window.
- Now, click on the “New Rule” option and select the “Program” radio button.
- After that, click on the “Next” option.
- Now, checkmark the “This Program Path” radio button available under the “Program” window and enter the following paths in the program path insert box.
For 64-bit Windows installation, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010\QBW32.EXE.
For 32-bit Windows installations, navigate to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010\QBW32.EXE.
- Once you are done with program paths, click on the “Block Connection” option, followed by a click on the “Next” option.
- Afterward, select the “Domain, Private and Public” option under the profile window and click on the “Next” option.
- Thereon, a new window with the “Name” heading will be open on your screen. There, type “Block QuickBooks Internet Connection” in the name insert box, followed by a click on the “Finish” option.
- At last, end this process by closing the windows firewall.
You have now easily disabled the internet access to QuickBooks. From now, the new Windows 10 update will not cause any problems while using the QuickBooks desktop application.
Important: This step is only useful when the user wants to open the QuickBooks data file stored on the same PC where the QuickBooks desktop is working. If another PC is hosting the QuickBooks data file, then this procedure cannot help you solve the problem.
In this blog, we have tried our best to provide authentic and useful information about why you may face the QuickBooks stopped working after the windows 10 update. Above, we have listed all the possible reasons behind the problem among the solutions that you can follow to resolve the problem.
If you have any query related to the topic or any other QuickBooks error, then you can reach us through the chat box. You can also mail us your query. Our experienced and professional QuickBooks experts will be happy to attend to your query.
QuickBooks desktop 2019 to 2022 are fully compatible with the Windows 10 version 1803.
Maximum 3 users can access the QuickBooks pro version at the same time, whereas, maximum 5 users can access the premier edition. Although, the online server will not be counted as the online user in case, if one uses the QuickBooks account through that server.
The QuickBooks desktop 2010 is not compatible with the windows 10 version. If you wants to access the QuickBooks desktop, then you have to upgrade to the latest version of QuickBooks desktop. The most latest version of QuickBooks desktop is 2022.
In case, if you are not able to open the QuickBooks desktop application, then try restoring the QuickBooks data to the most recent backup file (QBB). You can also take help with other professional repair tools such as Steller repair to restore the backup of your files.