QuickBooks is a widely used accounting software developed by Intuit for small and mid-sized businesses. It offers reports and analytics so that you can track the performance of your business and implement the necessary changes. However, when using the program, you may receive multiple issues. One such program in QuickBooks occurs after updating your Windows. “QuickBooks won’t open after windows update” is a problematic condition in the application that can prevent you from running QuickBooks smoothly. To get rid of this error, read this post until the end.
Factors That Can Promote “QuickBooks Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update” Error
if you are unable to run QuickBooks after updating your Windows computer, check for the below-given reasons:
- Partial installation of the Windows upgrade can be a possible reason why QuickBooks has stopped working.
- Updating Windows can evoke compatibility issues between QuickBooks and Windows.
- When your Internet settings are not compatible with the QuickBooks program.
- Corruption in the product registration (QBWUSER.INI) file can also give rise to the error.
Aftermaths of QuickBooks Won’t Open After Windows Update Error.
QuickBooks stores all your crucial accounting data and enables users to access it and name the necessary changes and updates. Besides, you need to add the daily business accounting information in QuickBooks to track the performance of your business. However, the inability to open the program hampers not only your workflow but also your peace of mind. To prevent this problem from affecting your workflow badly, you need to fix this error as soon as possible. If not, you may not be able to proceed even a step further with an ongoing or new task in QuickBooks. It is why we have listed some of the most effective solutions that can help you override this problem and get back to your routine accounting tasks.
How To Override The Error When You Are Unable To Open QuickBooks?
Knowing the possible reasons behind the error is half the job done. To troubleshoot the error, you need to perform the below-described solutions:
Solution 1: Download QuickBooks Tool Hub to Run Quick Fix My Program Utility
QuickBooks Tool Hub can be considered as the launcher of the important tools and utilities of the program. You can download the tool hub from Intuit’s official website and run the utility. Follow the below-listed steps:
- Go to Intuit’s official website, download QuickBooks Tool Hub, and save it to a suitable location on your machine.
- Thereafter, go to the download folder and double-click on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to start the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and agree to the terms and conditions to finish the installation.
- Once installed, open the tool hub and click Program Problems.
- Now locate and click on the Quick Fix my Program.
- After completion of the task, restart QuickBooks and run it.
Solution 2: Restore Windows To A Previous Version
If the updated version of Windows is causing trouble when opening QuickBooks, restore it to the previous version. It will remove the tools or applications that are installed after upgrading to Windows. These applications might stop QuickBooks from opening. To restore:
- Click on the Windows Start icon in the first place.
- Next, go to Settings and in this tab, click the Update and Security button.
- Thereafter, go to the Windows and Security to proceed further.
- Moving ahead, select the Recovery tab and then locate the Go back to an earlier built section.
- Now click on the Get Started button and follow the on-screen prompts.
- The previous steps will take you to the previous version of Windows.
Note: When restoring Windows to the previous version, you need to keep in mind that it is just a temporary solution. It is not a permanent solution as it prevents you from utilizing the upgraded features of Windows. Therefore, you need to move to a more effective solution.
Solution 3: Troubleshoot The Compatibility Issues
- Take your mouse custom in the Windows search bar and then type QuickBooks.
- When the program appears, right-click on it and select Open File Location.
- In the next step, open the QuickBooks file location.
- Thereafter, select and right-click on the QuickBooks company file and when the drop-down menu appears, click on the Properties option.
- Here, in the Properties section, click on the Compatibility tab.
- Next, move down and select a previously available version of the program from the Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
- After changing the Windows compatibility mode, click Apply button and then OK to confirm.
Note: This solution will help you eliminate the error so that you can open the QuickBooks application. However, you may not be able to utilize the latest features in Windows.
Solution 4: Block Internet Connection To Be Accessed By QuickBooks Executable File
In this procedure, you need to block the QuickBooks Executable File (QBW32.EXE) from accessing the Internet. Keep in mind that disabling the internet access for QuickBooks can damage the program installation and harm your crucial accounting data. Before you proceed any further with this solution, make sure to keep the backup of your accounting data.
In addition, you may also choose to add a Firewall rule to stop the QuickBooks Executable file from accessing the Internet. After configuring this setting, you will be able to access the QuickBooks application without any hurdle. Below are the steps:
- First thing first, open the Control Panel and then select Windows Firewall.
- In the next step, you need to click on Advanced Settings.
- The previous action will open the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security window.
- In this window, click on Outbound Rules and then hit the Next button from the Actions pane.
- Moving ahead, click on the New Rule option, and it will show up on the Windows Firewall with the advanced security option.
- Click on the Outbound Rules.
- When the Rule Type window appears, choose the Program radio button and hit the Next tab.
To Create The New Rule
- On the Program window, mark the radio button for This Program Path and then specify the path in the program path box.
- After entering the QuickBooks program path, click on the Next button.
- When on the Action tab, choose Block the Connection option and click on Next.
- Block the connection to QuickBooks executable file to proceed further.
- Now on the Profile window, you need to select Domain, Private, and Public options. Press Next when all three options are selected.
- Specify profiles before you apply the rules you have created.
- Next, go to the Name tab on Windows and give a suitable name to the new Firewall rule and click Finish.
- Quit the Windows Firewall to finish this troubleshooting procedure.
Note: This troubleshooting will be effective in single-user mode. However, if you are not accessing the file on the same PC on which QuickBooks is running, you need to try a different solution.
Solution 5: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool From Tool Hub
In the first solution, we have discussed the steps to download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub on your system. QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is an important utility in QuickBooks software that detects and determines the issues related to QuickBooks installation. If the error is caused due to a partial or damaged installation, this tool can help. Follow the below-described steps:
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub and then select the Installation Issues tab.
- Next, you need to locate and click on QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- The tool will take up to 20 minutes to perform the troubleshooting.
- Once the tool finishes its task, restart QuickBooks to check if the error is resolved or not.
Note: This one is a possible solution to eliminate the error; however, it is not assured that this solution will help in the error resolution.
Solution 6: Open QuickBooks Without The Company File
Sometimes, QuickBooks experiences trouble in opening the data file and gets stuck in a loop. To resolve this, open the data file manually. Perform the below-given steps:
- Press the CTRL key and double-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon when holding it.
- Next, you will see a Window titled No Company Open. If not, try the same step without releasing the CTRL-key.
- In the end, choose the data file you want to work with and open it.
Solution 7: Relaunch The QuickBooks Application
To relaunch the program, you need to run QuickBooks as an administrator. To run the program as an administrator, right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon and then select the Run as Administrator option. It is not necessary that it will work. In such a scenario, you need to repair the QuickBooks to update the installation permissions in order to open the QuickBooks application. Below are the steps:
- Go to the Windows Start icon and then select the Control Panel.
- Now select Uninstall a Program located underneath the Programs and Features tab.
- Moving ahead, click on QuickBooks and select Uninstall/Change.
- Once you are done, select the Repair option.
- After following the above-given steps carefully, click on the Finish button to conclude the procedure.
Upgrading your Windows operating system is crucial in order to reap the benefits of the new and enhanced features. However, QuickBooks users may feel it difficult to open the software due to compatibility issues that are raised after updating Windows. If you are also stuck with the same error, then this post will help you in opening the program. However, if these steps don’t work for you for any reason, you may reach out to our expert QuickBooks professionals and get the needed help in a swift manner.