QuickBooks is an excellent accounting software that can help your business get the desired growth by streamlining its accounting processes. The program offers many incredible accounting features and functions that can make your business accounting a less tedious task. Multi-user mode is also a time-saving feature in QuickBooks wherein multiple users can work on the same company file simultaneously. It not only saves your time & labor but also makes your accounting more comprehensive. However, to make the multi-user mode work, you need to set up this network in QuickBooks. Wondering how to set up multi-user mode in QuickBooks correctly? Read this full post to get the answer.
What Is QuickBooks Multi-user Mode?
QuickBooks multi-user setup allows multiple users to work on the same company file at the same time to make the workflow more efficient. In this network, a server computer hosts the company file, and the other computers (referred to as the workstations) access the company file from this computer. Only one central computer can host the company file. It is crucial to configure the multi-user network impeccably to avoid issues in accessing the company file. Here, you can get to know how to set up multi-user network in QuickBooks.
Standard Requirements To Set Up Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks
Now that you are familiar with the term multi-user mode, it is important to know the standard requirements before getting started with the steps:
- Make sure that QuickBooks Desktop is installed on the server computer.
- Log in as admin to check the Windows file permissions.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager, which plays a crucial role in hosting the company file on a network. It must be enabled.
Important Considerations Before Setting Up Multi-user Mode
Setting up a multi-user mode enables you to gain access to the data file over a network. It is imperative to have QuickBooks software installed on all the computers separately in the network. Before you set up a multi-user network in QuickBooks, below are some important considerations you need to keep in your mind:
- QuickBooks Enterprise solutions enable 30 simultaneous users to access the company file.
- If you are a QuickBooks Premier user, you can set a maximum of 5 users to access the data file.
- In QuickBooks Pro, a maximum of 3 users can be set up in the multi-user mode configuration.
Also Read: QuickBooks Error H202
Procedure To Set Up Multi-User Network In QuickBooks?
After much has been discussed about the multi-user configuration, let’s dig into the actual steps to get the job done:
Step 1: Download & Install The QuickBooks Software
- In the beginning step, you need to download the QuickBooks software from Intuit’s official website and save the downloaded file to a suitable location.
- Next, proceed further with the installation using the on-screen prompts.
- Here, you need to choose custom and network install as the install type.
- To get the full version of the QuickBooks application on the server computer, choose I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing.. option.
- In case you want the server system to host files, choose the other option.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to proceed further with the installation process.
- Choose the multi-user host installation to finish the task.
Step 2: Switch To Multi-user Hosting
- Launch the QuickBooks application to start the procedure.
- Here, you need to make sure that QuickBooks is updated to the latest release.
- Now, go to the File and choose the Utility option and click host multi-user access.
- If the multi-user setup is already hosted, move to the next step.
Step 3: Configure The Firewall & Security Settings For Desktop
- Click on the Start button and then search for Firewall.
- When the Windows Firewall appears, select it and then choose the Advanced Settings option.
- Thereafter, click inbound rules and choose the new rule option.
- Moving ahead, choose the port and click Next.
- Now checkmark the TCP option and then type in the ports based on your QuickBooks version.
- In the New Inbound Rule Wizard, click on the radio button for Allow the connection option.
- Checkmark the boxes for all the profiles and click Next to move ahead.
- Give this name a rule and hit the Finish option.
- In the end, you may open QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
Step 4: Share The Company File From Folder & Windows Access Permissions
- Continuing the procedure, go to and right-click on the folder containing the QuickBooks file and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Next, select the Security option and then click Edit.
- Thereafter, choose QBDataServicesUserXX, click Allow and then choose the Full Control option.
- Click Apply and OK, and it will take you to the last step of this section.
- To finalize it, set up windows access permissions for sharing your company file.
Step 5: Set Up QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an important tool in QuickBooks, which enables multi-user access in QuickBooks. To set up the service in QuickBooks:
- First of all, click on the Start button and then go to the Programs option.
- Choose QuickBooks from the list to proceed further.
- Thereafter, choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager and enable it.
- Once chosen, click on the Scan folder tab.
- In this step, you have hit on Add folder option.
- Next, select the folder containing the QuickBooks Company File and then click OK to add a folder.
- Hit Scan, and it will initiate the scanning process.
- Click the Close option to finish.
Step 6: Enable Windows Admin Rights
If you are a Windows 7 or 8 user:
- Press CTRL + R keys together and open the Control panel using the Run window.
- Next, select User accounts and then click on Manage other accounts.
- After that, click on Create a new account.
- Now type the user name and select the admin tab to proceed.
- Moving ahead, click on Create option.
For Windows 10 users:
- Click on the Start tab and then go to the Settings option.
- Next, select Accounts and then Family and other users.
- Thereafter, you will see a Plus (+) icon at the bottom of the Settings window. Select this icon to add someone else to this PC.
- Moving ahead, choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information option and add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Moving ahead, assign the account with a new user name and password.
- Hit Finish, and the changes will be saved.
- Here, you need to enable the admin privileges for the newly added user.
- Now select the newly created account and then choose the account type.
- After that, select the Admin tab, click OK, and then Save to finish.
Step 7: Switch To Multi-user Mode
After executing the steps correctly, you may now finally switch to the multi-user mode. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First of all, go to the QuickBooks File menu, and clicking the Switch to multi-user mode will take you to the next step.
- Thereafter, select Yes when you are prompted to do so.
- Now in the multi-user setup information window, click the OK button.
- Next, navigate to the company, and add the expected users by following the below mentioned series of selections:
- Set up users and passwords >> Set up users >> Add users.
These steps will help you in setting up a multi-user network in QuickBooks Desktop and adding the intended users of the company file. Make sure that all the steps are followed with the utmost care and attention.
Benefits Of Multi-User Mode Network in QuickBooks
Multi-user network in QuickBooks is designed to enhance the user’s productivity in the program. Up to 30 users in the QuickBooks Enterprise solution can work on the same company file simultaneously and make the necessary changes and updates. This way, you can achieve a better workflow for your accounting management processes. QuickBooks multi-user mode can bestow you with multi-faceted benefits. Below is the list:
- When multiple users can access and work on the same company file, the time and effort in the process are saved.
- You may choose to access the company file from the server computer or use the office workstation as the host computer.
- Working in multi-user mode eliminates the geographical bars and enables you to track your employees easily at any time.
- Better collaboration in the multi-user network can help employees work with better clarity and removes ambiguity from the process.
- When the productivity of the process increases, profits do increase proportionately.
QuickBooks multi-user mode is an excellent feature in the program that offers a multitude of advantages. When multiple users work on the same company file, the workflow ultimately gets more efficient. This post elaborates on how to set up multi-user network in QuickBooks Desktop application. When not configured properly, you may experience a QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue. Fortunately, you can get immediate help from our QuickBooks chat and email assistance channels and resume your accounting tasks.
QuickBooks operates in two modes- Single user and Multi-user mode. You can differentiate between the two based on their common characteristics:
In single-user mode, only one user can work on the QuickBooks company file at a time. If another user tries to open the company file, QuickBooks error message 6073 can appear on your screen abruptly. Single-User mode is required to carry out several procedures in QuickBooks.
Multi-user mode enables multiple users to access a QuickBooks company file simultaneously. The number of simultaneous users varies in different versions of QuickBooks. For instance, in QuickBooks Pro, 3 users can access the file at the same time. In the QuickBooks Premier version, 5 users can access the company file at the same. Besides, in the QuickBooks Enterprise solution, 30 users can open the company file and work on it.
According to Intuit’s standard license agreement, separate licenses are required for each user using the QuickBooks application. All users must be networked, and they should have their separate licenses. However, if you are accessing QuickBooks on your different devices, such as laptops and PC computers, you need only one license. Additional documents are required when additional people need to use QuickBooks on their devices.
QuickBooks multi-user mode lets users collaborate on the same company file, wherein all users must be networked and have their separate QuickBooks licenses. Besides, users can work with the utmost accuracy of the records as they work on the most up-to-date data. The file is hosted on the server computer, and the essential QuickBooks services, such as QuickBooks Database Server Manager, enables the multi-user network hosting in QuickBooks. Other users that are networked in the system (termed as workstations) access the company file in the network. Above all, the user with the admin privileges can define the password-protected access level permissions for the other users.
If more than one user needs to work on the same QuickBooks file, an additional license will be required in this situation. Even if there are a few tasks that need to be done, an additional license is required. For instance, a business owner may need QuickBooks to do some of the specific accounting tasks, and his manager may need to do a few other tasks. In such a case, two QuickBooks licenses will be required.
With an erroneous configuration of a multi-user network in QuickBooks, you may not be able to harvest its amazing benefits. It requires QuickBooks to be installed on the server computer and on all the workstations. Sometimes, it can be your Firewall that blocks the communication between user computers. Improperly configured Windows file permissions can also give rise to the QuickBooks multi-user mode error. Error code series 6000 and H series mainly cover the issues related to the QuickBooks multi-user mode setup.