1098-T is an American tax form given to every student by their educational institutions to pay their qualified educational expenses. These qualified expenses may consist of tuition fees, fees required for enrollment, and study materials for a student. Therefore, every student must file this Form to the IRS within a taxable year.
However, users sometimes might run into TurboTax 1098-T Error while filing the Form with the Internal Revenue Service. As a result, the users won’t be able to file their taxes on time, thus interrupting the ongoing work. Therefore, it is crucial to evaluate this issue as soon as possible using the correct troubleshooting techniques explained in this post.
Also Read: TurboTax Error 102345
Is TurboTax 1098-T Error bothering you while filing the taxes with the IRS? If that’s so, call us at +1 855 706 0905 to get the most relevant results within no time.
Factors Responsible For the Occurrence of Error Code 1098-T TurboTax
Users can run into TurboTax Error 1098-T for several reasons. Therefore, we have covered a few factors that might lead to this Error below.
- Sometimes, the users might get stuck with the Error due to the unwanted space between the information they have entered. In that case, TurboTax won’t act normally and will allow you to pursue the process again.
- It might take place because of the incorrect formatting of invisible characters.
- You might have copied/pasted the wrong data in Form 1098-T. In that case, you won’t be able to clear the Error by adding the information again. Then, you must try to delete Form 1098-T and try it again.
Also Read: TurboTax Error 190
How can you Identify Error Code 1098-T in TurboTax?
It is mandatory to know the indications to determine the occurrence of TurboTax 1098-T Error easily. We have described some of the signs and symptoms below to let you know about them.
- You may notice that the students might face issues while submitting the information related to tuition fees paid during the taxable year.
- Whenever the error pops up on your screen, it starts throwing an alert message.
- It delays the filing of the 1098-T Form in TurboTax to the IRS.
Essential Tips You Must Know Before Fixing TurboTax 1098-T Error
Here are some tips that you must know to avoid TurboTax 1098-T Error. Go through the below-listed points carefully.
- You cannot file the TurboTax 1098-T form using the TurboTax Free Edition.
- Always make sure that you have left the blank boxes blank. In other words, you don’t have to add “0” for any blank boxes. Otherwise, it might generate errors while filing taxes.
- Also, you must enter the 1098-T exactly, even if you notice that the amounts mentioned are incorrect. This is so because you will get a chance to rectify this information and can add additional expenses further.
- For instance, if you find that the student listed on 1098-T is your dependent, you must return the Form even if you have paid the tuition fees.
- On the other hand, if you aren’t dependent, add 1098-T on your return unless you paid your tuition fees. In that scenario, you have to keep the 1098-T along with your tax records.
Also Read: TurboTax Form 2210 Error
Quick Resolution Methods to Resolve TurboTax 1098-T Error Easily
After reading the factors contributing to TurboTax 1098-T Error, proceed further to the most important section of this blog, troubleshooting. Here, we have specified some simple and user-friendly ways to overcome the issue as soon as possible. Ensure that you perform the instructions in the same way as mentioned below.
Method 1: Try to File Form 1098-T Using a Different Web Browser
If you end up with TurboTax Error 1098-T, you must try filing the Form using a different web browser. You can switch to other web browsers such as Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.
If you are able to file the Form without discovering the Error using another web browser, it means that the issue lies within the browser itself. However, if you can’t, you must try to resolve the issue using another method.
Method 2: Exclude Extra Spaces In Between the Transactions
While adding the information while filing the 1098-T Form, it is mandatory that no space should be included before or after the entries. If you find any unnecessary space, remove it and try filing the Form.
Also Read: Change TurboTax Password
Method 3: Deleting the Entry Made in 1098-T Form Manually
There might be certain instances when users confront TurboTax 1098-T Error while copying or pasting the wrong information. Therefore, it is suggested to delete the 1098-T Error by adding the information again to resolve the issue. Then, you must try to clear the Form and then start it again, and to do so; you must follow up the stepwise instructions listed below.
Move back to the Education section of your Tax Return by trying the steps mentioned below.
- Firstly, tap on the Search option from the top row of the TurboTax Online screen.
- Consequently, it will open a box where you have to input “education” and select the magnifying glass.
- Soon after this, you will see that the search results will display the “Jump to Education” option; click on it.
Furthermore, you have to delete the 1098-T Form with the help of the steps listed below.
- In the initial stage, tap on the Edit option behind your student’s name.
- Now, on the “Here’s Your Education Summary” screen, hit the Delete option next to the school name you wish to remove.
- At last, you are supposed to fill in all the required information in your 1098-T Form.
Also Read: QuickBooks Error H202
Drawing to a Conclusion!!
This post has given you a clear picture of how to resolve the TurboTax 1098-T Error. However, if this Error is still bothering you and interrupting you while filing the Form, connect with our experts. You can take advice from our professionals through email or live chat facility. The experts will get in touch with you within no time and assist you in the best possible manner.
Usually, the users might come across TurboTax 1098-T Error when they have added the wrong details in the Form. Thus, it prevents users from filing taxes and hinders ongoing work.
To view 1098-T Form, perform the following steps.
1. Initially, move to the MyPCC on the paying for college tab.
2. Soon after this, tap on the student account information.
3. Then, select the View/Print 1098 tax notification form
4. At last, you must add the taxpayer.
If you have added the wrong information in 1098-T, delete the Form in TurboTax Online using these steps.
1. Firstly, open the tax return if it’s already not opened on your device.
2. Now, head towards the My Account and opt for the Tools option.
3. Then, click on the Delete a form option.
4. Finally, tap on Delete beside the 1098 form you want to remove.