TurboTax Error 1603 can take place when installing or updating the program to the latest release. When the error occurs, you will see an error message on your screen that says-
A Fatal Error Occurred During Installation or Updating.
A faulty Microsoft .NET Framework Installer is one of the main reasons behind the arrival of this error. When the installer fails to install the updates or the program itself, you will see the TurboTax error 1603 on your screen. If you are struggling with this issue and looking for a troubleshooting solution, you have landed at the right place. We have tried to answer all your queries with this answer. Let’s start!
Various Causes Behind TurboTax Error Code 1603
Failure in the program update is a concerning issue that needs to be addressed properly. In the same quest, you need to keep an eye on the possible reasons that are explained below:
- You might be seeing the error due to the corruption in the windows files and folder permissions.
- Damaged windows registry key permissions can also be one of the apparent reasons behind the error 1603 TurboTax.
- Make sure that the TurboTax subscription is not expired; otherwise, it will show up the error code on your screen during the update or the installation procedures.
- Attacks from malicious viruses or malware.
- You always need to keep free memory space in your system’s hard disk. If not, the error is on its way.
- Compatibility issues between the downloaded TurboTax program and your system also evoke the error code 1603.
- Insufficient user permissions if not logged in as admin.
- It can be the issues with your system causing the error.
- Your Antivirus program interfering with the Windows update can also promote the error.
How To Troubleshoot Windows Installer TurboTax Error Code 1603?
The inability to update or run the TurboTax application can really be annoying for the users. You may not be able to run the program at its full efficiency. Therefore, we have described some effective solutions below for you.
Method* 1: Close The Applications That Are Interfering With the Update Procedure
One of the main reasons behind the arrival of the TurboTax error 1603 is conflicting programs that are running in the background and interfering with the update or the installation process. Terminating the conflicting programs can prevent the update process from interruptions and can fix TurboTax error 1603. Follow the below-given steps:
- First of all, you need to run the Task manager on your machine. Press CTRL + Del + Alt keys together to open the Task Manager, and here you can see all the programs running on your system.
- Next, hover your mouse over the processes tab and all the processes one after the another.
- Once done, check if the errors take place again after all the background processes are closed.
- When closing the processes individually, you can identify the process that was promoting the error.
However, if it doesn’t help in the error resolution, move to the next solution.
Methods* 2: Disable Third – Party Antivirus Application
Sometimes, third-party antimalware programs interfere with the update process as they consider it to be a security threat. To disable the program:
- First of all, navigate through the notification area to locate your antivirus program’s icon. Alternatively, you may also click the small up arrow icon that will allow you to see the hidden items. When the installation issue occurs, you can disable the program to fix the error.
- Another way to disable the program is to right-click on the antimalware program and choose Disable from the drop-down menu.
- When disabling, you will be prompted to choose a time after which the antimalware needs to be automatically activated. Choose it to finish the task.
If the TurboTax error continues to trouble you, try the next solution.
Also Read: TurboTax Error 42016
Method* 3: Utilize Disk Clean Up To Fix TurboTax Error 1603
Running disk cleanup will delete all the temporary files from the system, thereby facilitating the TurboTax installation process. Below are the steps for you to follow:
- First of all, it is crucial to create a backup of all your important files before you proceed any further with the process.
- Next, make sure that you have sufficient space in your hard drive.
- Once assured, delete all the cache files from your system and jump to the next step.
- Again, start your system and start the File Explorer on it.
- Here, right-click on the name of the primary directory and click on the Properties option.
- Now click the Disk Cleanup option located underneath the Properties.
After accomplishing the task, check if the TurboTax error 1603 is resolved. If not, try the next solution to get rid of the issue.
Method* 4: Install TurboTax Again With Full Compatibility
When installing the TurboTax application, you need to make sure that it is fully compatible with your system. If not, you will get issues related to the program every now and then. Therefore, you need to reinstall the program by implementing the relevant steps. To do so, uninstall TurboTax in the first place. Follow the below stated steps:
- Disable your antivirus software temporarily before you move ahead.
- Once done, remove the TurboTax application from your machine.
- Thereafter, install the TurboTax application again, ensuring that the system requirements are fulfilled completely.
- Now locate and click on the setup file on your system.
- Here, you need to choose the Troubleshooting Compatibility option. It will delete the program from your system.
- Once done, select the “Worked in a previous version on Windows” option and click Windows 7 RTM.
- Moving ahead, click the Next button and hit the Start option.
- Completing these steps will start the installation process.
- Once the process is completed, click the Finish button to conclude it.
Method* 5: Install Runtime Libraries Again For The Error Resolution
Outdated runtime libraries, such as Microsoft .NET or C++, on your system, can give rise to the error 1603 in TurboTax. Therefore, you need to reinstall the runtime libraries on your system by following the below-described steps:
- On your computer, go to the Control Panel and open the Programs and Features option.
- Next, locate the Microsoft Visual C++ package.
- Thereafter, select the package and select the Uninstall option.
- After completing the process, start your PC again.
- Finally, download and install the latest release of the redistributable package of C++ on your system.
Now, check the status of TurboTax 2020 update error 1603 resolution if these steps are effective or not.
Method* 6: Run TurboTax With Administrative Rights
To perform the crucial tasks in the TurboTax application, you need to ensure that you are logged in with the administrator login credentials.
- Right-click the TurboTax program icon and select Properties.
- Here, in the Properties tab, select the Compatibility option.
- Thereafter, checkmark the box for Run as Administrator.
- In the end, select the OK button to finish the task.
The solutions discussed in this post can help you with fixing the TurboTax won’t update issue when performed flawlessly. However, if you are stuck at a certain point and need additional help, reach out to professional TurboTax technicians to discuss your issues. It will not only save you time but also enable to you get one-on-one help for assisted troubleshooting.
TurboTax error 1603 takes place when installing the program or updating it to the latest release available. There can be multiple factors that can promote this error, especially Microsoft .NET Framework Installer. To resolve the issue, you need to suppress these reasons one after the other.
You need to keep an eye on the symptoms of TurboTax error 1603 in order to identify the reasons behind the error. The inability to install the updates or the program is one of the apparent signs behind this error. However, you can confirm it with the error message –
A fatal error occurred during installation or updating.
A detrimental attack from your virus or malware can promote error 1603 in TurboTax. In such a case, make sure that your antivirus application is updated to the latest version. If not, you may not be able to resolve error 1603. So, make sure that you are using an updated version.
If you want to keep TurboTax error 1603 at bay, keeping a few important considerations in your mind can help. When installing the program, make sure that all the system requirements are fulfilled and that the program is running with full compatibility. Also, run the program with administrator rights when installing or updating.
If you are facing technical unease in resolving the TurboTax error 1603, you can get in touch with our trained technicians by using our assistance channels, such as chat or email. You can also get a callback scheduled in the hours of availability for the error resolution.