Wondering how to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks? This post will answer all your queries related to deleting a duplicate transaction in the QuickBooks Desktop application. The program allows its users to delete a duplicate transaction from the bank feed.
However, the process of deleting the transaction depends upon the mode you have chosen. There are various possible reasons that can cause a double entry in the bank feed. Here, we will list all those reasons and discuss the steps on how to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks. Let’s start!
Why Is It Important To Delete Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks?
It is important to remove duplicate transactions in QuickBooks. If not deleted, it can cause a discrepancy in your bank feeds. Therefore, it becomes crucial to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks. Managing accurate records of your bank feeds is important for the overall health of your financial management system.
What Causes A Double Entry in QuickBooks Bank Feed?
Some of the main reasons that can cause a duplicate transaction in the QuickBooks Bank feed are stated in the below-given list:
- When importing lists and transactions into a QuickBooks company file, you may get a duplicate entry situation. This occurs when importing data from an external program.
- Sometimes, it is the QuickBooks rebuild data utility that promotes a double transaction entry in QuickBooks while recovering the unrecoverable transactions.
- When you enter the transactions manually when the automatic feature is enabled, you will end up having a double transaction entry in QuickBooks.
- Duplicate entries in the QuickBooks Point of Sale can take place when an important detail is missed.
If any of the following conditions are causing the duplicate transaction in QuickBooks, move to the next procedures to do the needful.
Also Read: QuickBooks Error 103
How To Check If Duplicate Entries Exist in QuickBooks?
There is no specific procedure to detect a duplicate entry in the QuickBooks application. However, you can get the job done by utilizing the filter and sorting them. Follow the below-given steps to filter and sort the duplicate entries in QuickBooks:
- In the first place, you need to click on the Gear icon in the bank account.
- Thereafter, choose the Charts of Accounts tab to move ahead.
- Now choose the View register tab and go to the bank register.
- Here, you have to click the Filter menu and open it.
- After that, apply the filter to search the transactions of a quarter or a month.
- Also, click on payment or deposit columns to sort the list by their amounts.
- You may sort the list further with the date.
- These steps will help you determine the duplicate transactions in QuickBooks.
Once detected, you can delete them to keep the discrepancies in the bank feed at bay.
How To Delete Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks?
Now that you know how to detect duplicate transactions in QuickBooks, the next few procedures will elaborate on how to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks. As we have already discussed that the deleting of the transactions depends upon the mode you are choosing to get the task accomplished. Below are the procedures:
1: Deleting Duplicate Transactions Using Side By Side Mode
In side-by-side mode, the downloaded transactions are located on the left side of the screen. Below is how to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks in this mode:
- In the first place, go to the Banking menu.
- Here, you need to select the bank feeds and then choose the bank feeds center.
- Moving ahead, select the account having the transactions you want to remove in the items reviewed section.
- After that, choose the items to be deleted.
- In the end, select the delete transactions and click the Yes button to confirm the action.
Using these steps in side by side mode, you can delete duplicate transactions with the utmost ease.
2: Procedure To Delete Duplicate Transactions in Register Mode
In this mode, you may locate the downloaded transactions at the bottom of the screen. In this method, if you want to delete the duplicate transactions that are preventing the statements from tallying, then you will have to delete the entire statement. Below are the steps:
- First things first, pay a visit to the Banking menu.
- After that, choose the Bank feeds and then choose the bank feeds center.
- Next, locate and select the statement from the items received using the financial institution section.
- Thereafter, select the view option.
- Here, you need to match the suitable transactions and select Done to match them.
- Once done, select Yes in the not finished matching screen. It will take you back to the banking center.
- Now locate and select the same statement from the items received from the financial institutions section.
- In the end, click Delete to complete this procedure.
How To Delete Transactions in QuickBooks?
To delete a transaction in QuickBooks, follow the below-given steps:
- Open QuickBooks in the first place.
- After that, click the arrow next to the Transaction located on the left side of the screen.
- Next, click on the Delete button to move to the next step.
- In the end, enter the transaction name and click the Delete button.
The procedures discussed in this post can help you in deleting duplicate transactions in QuickBooks. By performing these solutions, you can get it done on your own. If you want to avoid these hassles, contact our professionals and delete double transaction entries smoothly. Hope it was helpful with your quest on how to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks.